Saturday, May 26, 2007

What Was I Thinking?????

Why didn't someone stop me? Why? Why? Why? Eight 6 year olds is a lot to have at one party. It all comes back to me being cheap. I don't want to shell out $200 to go to one of those party places where all you do is show up and have fun and everything else is magically taken care of by the birthday fairies. Every year, I say to myself, "I can do my own party for fifty bucks tops" and then halfway through we look at each other and say "why did we do this???!!?"


We had armpit noises, we belched the alphabet, all in all, there was a plethora of energy, if you will. In other words, COMPLETE AND UTTER CHAOS!!! Jackson totally checked out on us and I do not blame him. When we were inside he said, "Mom, if you need anything, I'll be outside." and when we were outside, "Mom, If you need anything, I'll be inside." Poor Lily just walked around looking shell-shocked. I did have one major 'I'm turning into my mother' moments. Noah gets tagged out while we're playing kickball and hides behind the bushes pouting and crying, (Em, you know where this is going...). Apparently he was under the impression that if you're the Birthday Boy, no rules apply. It was very similar incident that occurred 25 years ago involving a girl and a party and a relay race gone bad. So, I march over and in a very ugly frazzled voice say, "Noah, this is your party, you're going to get back over there now, and YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE FUN (I did leave out the da*# it! on the end, though. Love you, mom!) Yes, history is repeating itself.

It was 8 on 1 in basketball with three balls in play. I'm sure you can figure who the "lucky 1" was.

I think we can say a fun time was had by all. We had a few cryers and one nuclear meltdown at the end when it was time to go home, so they must have had fun, especially Noah, and he is SO worth it! Happy Birthday, Noah, we love you. Whew! We were exhausted. I slept really good last night.

7 comments:

THE BROWN BOYS said...

I remember a similar moment at my own party where I was supposed to be reading off the correct answers to some game we had played on paper, and everyone kept shouting out the answers instead, and I ran upstairs crying, and mom had "THE TALK" with me.

Kathy said...

As a mother and a grandmother, all I can say is . . .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Someday you will look back on this and laugh ;) just like I am doing now. Birthday parties rock!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! I have had that same "talk" with mine! GET OVER THERE AND START HAVING FUN...NOW!! It's classic parenting!
Another classic is...KNOCK, IT, OFF-while bent down with finger pointed, in that really low, jaw clentched, under your breath, growling, whisper voice! Classic!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, I do the 'knock it off' on a daily basis!

Anonymous said...

I HATE PARTIES!!! I am such a party pooper and my daughter is a party kinda girl. After her last multi-girl sleepover I announced that I was "done" with parties! I was serious, too!
3 years later--we will be hosting a 6 girl sleepover celebrating the end of school THIS Wednseday night!! What was I thinking?! How did this happen? I am already regretting it and it hasnt' started yet. I have to work on Thursday! Oh man....pray for me.

emily said...

Carrie---I can feel another "ghetto blog" coming on that one! I will pray for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Em nice move! Way to mock the ghetto blog!!
Carrie....good luck.