Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Nifty Fifty States Party.

Today, fourth grade had their Nifty Fifty States party. Each kid was assigned a state in which they did a report on. Today was the culmination of their projects. They had to bring a food that corresponded to their state and then had hot dogs as well. Jackson had South Carolina, whose #1 yielding crop turns out to be tobacco. We didn't think handing out smokes was appropriate, so we went for #2, peaches. I made a peach crisp which is in the upper row middle. Let's just say the peach crisp didn't turn out so crispy. I don't know what happened. It's a good thing 4th graders aren't too picky. It was fun to see what everyone brought. Some of them were a little questionable...did you know Jello is representative of Utah and that when I think of Nevada I think of chocolate donuts with sprinkles??? It was hilarious. I learned a lot. They were all very cute and so proud of what they brought.

After lunch, they sang about 4 or 5 patriotic songs. They sang a wonderful rendition of America The Beautiful and just about brought this mother to tears. I was looking around as they were singing and seeing all those young faces in so many different colors. It makes me so thankful to be in a town and school district that is so diverse, and that my kids get to be exposed to that. They all did such a great job.
Tomorrow we'll go back to the school for Track and Field Day. This is Noah's dream come true. He's had to watch Jack on this day from the sidelines for 6 long years and now he FINALLY gets a turn. He's so excited, especially for the tug-of-war. So, I'm sure I'll have pictures to post.

5 comments:

emily said...

That is hilarious about the jello and chocolate donuts with sprinkles! AWESOME! What a fun day! Can't wait to hear about the track and field day!

Anonymous said...

That is a neat idea for Nifty Fifty! and a good call on the tobacco.

I am wondering, for your b-day did you get a chocolate donut and chocolate milk? Hope so! Have a chocolatey good birthday.

Anonymous said...

Of course! No sprinkles, though, And I had the choice of a chocolate donut or sugared donut holes. We get royal treatment on our Birthday and donuts are a serious matter in our household.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE DONUTS! Our tradition is donuts on Sunday morning. Trey goes for the paper and a coffee and the donuts are like 20 feet away, it's a shame not to bring some home. I like the Honeymooner that's got chocolate frosting around the edge and a huge glop of white frosting filling in the center. yummy!

Anonymous said...

ooooooohhh, I never met one I didn't like!