Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jackson Did NOT Learn A Lesson At His Lesson.

Jackson had his drum lesson yesterday. As he was packing up to go, he said, "Am I going to get in trouble for not practicing very much this week?" I reply, "I don't know, that happens sometimes when you don't do your work." Secretly, I'm thinking to myself, 'give it to him, Mrs. deSalme. Let him have it!' (I'm all about the natural consequences, if you can't tell!) He looked a little nervous, so I said, "Just do your best." After school, I'm excited to find out if he got blasted, so I casually ask, "How did your lesson go?"
"Great, mom! She actually made me stand up in the front of the class and said, 'Class, listen to Jackson, this is how it should be done. He must have been the only one that practiced this week.' And I played it perfectly." What????? Backfired!! I swear he had a smug look on his face. The only reply I could come up with, pathetically, was, "Well, you're really lucky it turned out that well, because it could have easily gone the other way." I felt like adding, "You know, we spent alot of money on these drums...." but I stopped myself, because I sounded like my mom. Love you, mom!

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Laura, I can TOTALLY relate to this story. Jared has had violin since 4th grade & I bet I can count on 2 hands how many times I've seen him practice at home. He's a junior in high school & now duels for 1st chair... some kids are naturally gifted?! (this concept is foreign to me, I'm not gifted at anything, unless laundry counts)
So from one mother who's all about natural consequence to another... sometimes there's nothing we can say or do to change the outcome! Almost like there's a 'higher power'! :) God is Good!

THE BROWN BOYS said...

He takes after his aunt Jill. Maybe he should try the clarinet?! I never practiced much either and always got to sit in the first row. But think how good I would have been if I had?!

emily said...

I think he takes after his aunt Emily. You know how many times I lugged my bassoon home!? I hardly ever practiced that thing...but I was always second chair...ok...so maybe there were only 2 bassoon players...but still!!! Bassoon anyone!?!?! Jack...NOAH!?!?! c'mon this family needs another bassoon player...Will?!?!

kristin said...

hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Don't ya hate it when stuff goes like that? You're thinkin' "Just wait kid. You're gonna find out how tough the world really is." and then, just your luck that your kid is a natural at the drums!

Good for you Jackson! Practice anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

I will not have a Greg Cross in my house.