Friday, January 25, 2008

Adventures In Potty-Training, Part 1.

I went to Target tonight and buzzed through girls clothing, where I stumbled upon a sale on girl's panties. I was standing there admiring these princess panties, dreaming of a day when no diapers exist, when I felt someone staring at me. I looked up and there stood a young couple with a little girl about Lily's age. They were from India, I think. The women started talking to me in really broken English. I was catching some key words here and there including "potty-training", "toilet", etc. As I'm trying to figure out what she's asking me, I put two and two together and figured out she was asking me how to potty train her daughter. Literally. Like she wanted me to start at point A and talk her through to the end where her daughter is out of diapers. I was rendered speechless for a second, then I looked at her husband who shrugged his shoulders and bolted. (I never saw him again...). I started to sweat. I really did wish to impart some wisdom, after all I AM a mother of 3, but all I could think of was "Lady, I got my own problems...if you figure it out, let me know!!" I fumbled through some basics with her, trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about. My worst fear was that she would figure out I was a fraud. I decided to go for some humility on my part and broke it to her that I actually had not been sucessful in potty training my daughter YET. She slumped, in dejection a little, and said, "Oh...Ok...thanks anyways." As she walked away, I started to say, "But I do have other children...they don't wear diapers...." but my voice trailed off, on deaf ears. So, the ending of my story is that I bought a package of princess panties that I didn't intend to buy. I just now realized looking at this picture that these are days of the week panties. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. That makes me laugh. I should invent hourly panties that say 7am, 8am, 9am etc. for those moms who are trying to potty train. I could make millions.

3 comments:

emily said...

She is going to look so cute in those undies!!

kristin said...

lmao @ hours of the day panties! DO IT!!! I DARE you!! I'm the mean potty training mom who doesn't believe in M&M's or pull-ups.....you pee your pants...and you get realllly wet! (we spend about three days in the bathroom with lots of juice) things are always different with the "baby" though.....hmm...diapers are cool, too.

Rachel Bardwell said...

I'm glad to see you got TAGLESS panties. I'm sure that the tags really hold up the progress of potty training. With these panties it will probably be a breeze!!