Friday, June 8, 2007

Mortified Mother.

Well, let's just say we had an adventure tonight. I promised the boys they could each pick out a movie at Mr. Movies tonight. So we're headed to North Liberty, and I discover our tank is on empty, so I decide to head to the gas station first. We're headed into town and up ahead we notice the street is blocked off with saw horses and there is a ton of people standing around. I proceed ahead slowly looking for a place to turn around. I notice a police officer move the saw horse and enthusiastically wave us through. I have no idea what's going on. I yell, "Joe! What do I do??!??" (he's in the very back of the van with Noah.) The reply I get is, "do what the man says." So, I follow where the officer is steering us and, lo and behold, we are now participants in the Annual North Liberty Fun Days Parade. We are in a frickin' parade!!! I am mortified. Why, oh, why would he do that? I look down the street ahead of me and the curb on both sides are full of people staring at us. I look around me. We are right in the middle of some lawn mower brigade. Not those fast little zippers that mow commercial lawns, no, we're talking lawn tractors!! The next turn-off is like 3 or 4 blocks, which is a REALLY long time when you're behind 15 lawn mowers (and have an empty gas tank). I'm screaming, "what do I do? what do I do??" My husband is laughing hysterically and says, "just smile and wave". This is right up his alley. I have to add, it was a darn good thing I was driving tonight because he would have laying on his horn and pulling some figure 8's. Jack is in the front seat looking a little red in the face but laughing. Noah is jumping in his seat, yelling "I've always wanted to be in a parade!!!" By the third block, I'm over my embarassment and we are taking a quick inventory of what's in our van that we could throw out instead of candy. We came up with some loose change, a bottle of water, and an umbrella. Oh, well. We made some memories, anyways. FYI: We did make it to the gas station in time.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh, Laura! I laughed out loud when I read this! And it's good to know Joe is his father's child, and would have driven like a clown (literally) if HE had found himself behind the wheel in a parade. What an adventure!

And thank you for adding the note about making it to the gas station in time. All through your story, I was afraid the next mortifying thing would be that you were at a dead-stop, out of gas, in the middle of the parade!

All's well that ends well. This is likely to fall into the category, DECADES from now, of the things that get brought up that start with "remember when mom...."

Kathy said...

Oh man! I am laughing right outloud too! This is great. Truly one of those times you could not have planned! hee hee I would have loved to been in the crowd to hear the comments.

I too, am glad you made it to the gas station, that wouldn't have made it any funnier but boy what a memory! No pictures?

Meghan said...

Oh funny Laura! That happened to Francisco too! Only, in his broken English he decided to yell out the window, "don't hab any candies." Then people would yell back, you don't have any??? What?? I am SOOO glad I wasn't with him...I think I would have been mortified too.

emily said...

oh...my...gosh...that is hilarious! I can just picture it!!! Too bad Joe didn't have any flags!!! That all seems to be right up his alley. SO funny!

THE BROWN BOYS said...

We are in Schamburg getting ready for IKEA to open, and checking emails/blogs and I read this out loud to Damon and we were both laughing so hard we were crying! Something like this would only happen to you guys!

Connie said...

Wish I had been along - I always wanted to be in a parade, too!

emily said...

I'm picturing Damon doing his laugh/cry and it's making me miss you guys! :( LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP! I would have died!! You joined a parade and had nothing to offer? No banner, no candy, no lawnmower?!
#1 Thanks for the GREAT advice Joe, it was a big help. (laughing in the back where the windows are tinted!)
#2 How cute is Noah?! Not ashamed to be in a parade for no reason.
#3 What a wonderful memory for your family! You will always laugh about that. Thanks for sharing, you made my Monday.