Monday, September 8, 2008

The Southwest Burritos Were Not Meant To Be.

I'm not sure how my dinner ended up on the floor. It was like slow motion. I couldn't stop it from happening. I was going from fridge to oven and diseaster struck. I stood in stunned silence for a good 30 seconds. I faintly heard in the background a little voice saying, "Ooh. That's not good". Then followed by another voice saying, "Maybe you could make them again sometime. Can I suggest that next time you leave out the tomatoes?" I heard a growling noise and realized it was coming from me. I got myself together and thought, "Hey, I can throw something else together. I've still got my can of corn and my loaf of freshly baked chocolate chip banana bread....then this happened...
The other half is in my loaf pan. I'll be honest with you, I let a dirty word fly. I'm just keepin' it real. (I've since repented and been forgiven).
A little bit later Jackson, like every 12 year old boy concerned about when his next meal would be, asked, "Mom, what are we having for dinner?"
"Corn" I reply.
"What else?" He asks.
"Just corn."
(silence).
"Ummm..when's dad coming home?"

*Dad did come home and saved the day with rotisserie chicken from Fareway. We had our can of corn and our hacked-up banana bread and no one went hungry. The End.

7 comments:

emily said...

awww man!! you should have pulled out those wine coolers I see in the door and just relaxed a bit! :)

Kathy said...

My Mom used to call me and say," I just want you to know you are gonna have a lot of days like this!" Just passing on some wisdom . . . but just in case you are not in the mood to hear this right now, I agree with Emily ;)

THE BROWN BOYS said...

aww, man! At least you had the good sense to get it all documented. I'm not above scraping food off the ground and eating it. I think you should have tried that.

Connie said...

You know me, I would usually say, "waste not-want not", but in this case, I think you did the right thing to scrap it. And you know I would also have let a dirty word fly, so Momma thinks it's all ok. It's ok, it's ok!

laura b. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura b. said...

I love that your sisters both started out with "aww, man!" except Emily had an extra w so she must feel worse for you that Jill. I just had a typo in my last comment and I'm a dork like that and had to fix it and re-comment.

Rachel Bardwell said...

This post reminds me of the best advice I've ever gotten from my Mom. She was teaching me to make a pie crust and told me, "But if you try and it doesn't turn out, it's OK to throw it in the trash and cry about it." :)