Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's Been A Rough 24 Hours.

I have a dirty little secret. My daughter is almost 3 and she has still been using a pacifier at night. (Sigh.) I feel much better now. Free-er. A weight has been lifted. I wish I would have taken a picture of the thing. We were down to one left. It was FUNKNASTY. It was holey and chewed up and quite possibly moldy on the inside...and she loved it. If she were a first child or an only child, any good mother would NEVER have let her daughter put something that looked like that anywhere near her mouth. But, she's not. She hasn't gotten any weird illnesses or unexplainable rashes, but we decided not to push our luck. So, we threw it away. While I was at Wal-Mart, I ran through the baby section and secretly grabbed a package of plugs. I was feeling all shameful and embarassed. What if someone sees me and knows I'm buying MORE plugs for my almost 3 year old! I tried to give her one last night for bedtime and she would have NOTHING to do with it! She wanted her old nasty back. Lots of tears, screams, one puke/cough incident, and she finally fell asleep about 10. That doesn't sound too late, but it felt like...a lifetime. She got up once in the middle of the night and asked for her pacifier. I went in and comforted her and left her room as she screamed at the top of her lungs, "I CAN'T CLOSE MY EYES!!" Naptime today was a little rough, but she never asked for 'you know what'. Tonight, at bedtime, she overcompensated by filling her bed with 6 babies, 2 stuffed dogs, 3 blankies, and a life-size Dora, but still no talk of the p-word, as Noah calls it. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

Shadley said...

ooh now i am jealous. we are down to one but she is SOO addicted to it. i wish we could just toss it.

Shelly said...

Be thankful it's not her thumb... you can't throw that away! None of my kids sucked their thumbs but my mom did until she was 7. THAT would be embarrasing. (Madison had a night-time pacifier until she was 3 too - so I'm a closet-pacifier-promoter too.)