Monday, July 28, 2008

Yesterday, as I was picking Noah up from his Sunday school class he came running up to me and said, "Mom, can Andrew come over and play today?" I don't recall him having a friend named Andrew, so I ask, "Who's Andrew?" Noah spins around and points to 'Andrew' who is smiling at me with a sheepish grin. 'Andrew' is a youth helper in SundaySchool and is a JUNIOR in HIGH SCHOOL. To defend the situation, Andrew is a very nice boy and am in no way making fun of him, just the situation. Noah and Andrew have known each other for several years and are 'buds'. So, Noah is pulling on my arms and saying, "Please, mommy. Please, mommy!" I stand there in several awkward moments of silence, "uhhhhhhhh...let's go talk to your dad." I'm sure this kid really doesn't want to hang out with Noah, does he?!? Isn't it kind of wierd? This is Noah's itinerary-
1. He will show Andrew his room.
2 They will go downstairs and play video games.
3. They'll have a snack.
4. They'll play outside.
5. Andrew will go home.
He's serious. Noah has been asking non-stop, so he will have to get an answer. So, here goes....

PROS AND CONS OF HAVING A 17 YEAR OLD OVER FOR A PLAYDATE:

Pros:
-he can drive himself. Obvious plus!
-Noah will be entertained for an afternoon and he probably won't be fighting with his brother
-he will stop asking me every five minutes when Andrew can come over.
-I don't have to pay for free babysitting??
-he can drive himself home! Duh!

Cons:
-do I need to call and talk to his mom first?
-will he laugh at Noah and hang up?
-will he bring his friends??
- will the 10 year age gap prove to be too big?
-do I pat him on the head or do I shake his hand?
-what will we talk about? Legos? College?
-do I serve juice boxes and fruit snacks?

Thoughts?????

11 comments:

THE BROWN BOYS said...

HA! I was desperately trying to overhear their conversation on Sunday. Andrew was very kind and receptive to Noah's invition. He told him something like you'll have to talk to your parents and he actually spelled out his last name so that Noah could look his name up in the phone book. I don't know how serious he was, or whether he was just being kind. As soon as Noah came in the room, first thing he asked me "Where's Andrew?" and I said "Who?" Then Noah spotted him, ran over and Noah stuck by his side all throughout Sunday school. Not sure what you're supposed to do about that!

Rachel Bardwell said...

Hmm. . . so glad Micah isn't old enough for this yet. :) Would you feel comfortable calling Andrew and leveling with him? Specifically, tell him how much Noah has talked about him, and that you weren't sure if he was just being nice in offering to come over to play. Tell him that you'll offer to "cover" for him if he isn't interested so Noah's feelings aren't hurt. And if he is serious, I'd tell Noah it's just a one time thing and then invite Andrew over. PLEASE update us all on how this turns out!

Connie said...

Andrew who? That's not normal. Call me, we'll talk.-mom

laura b. said...

I would have loved playing with a kiddo when I was 17...but I don't know if I was normal :)

Laura said...

Oh, Mom. He's a good kid. You know him. I just think Noah put him in an awkward position!

Kathy said...

When I was about 17 a little neighbor girl came over and asked if I could come to her house and play, she was about 7/8 I told her I had to clean the house,sorry. Well, my Mom overheard the conversation and she came in and said, it's ok Kathy, you can go play! Gee thanks Mom!So I go over to her house to play. She showed me her room, we played Barbies, had a snack - no video games back then - all in all it was a pretty good afternoon

kristin said...

ok..that's awkwardly hilarious! hmmm...maybe Noah will just forget??
School just needs to start. I think this is further proof.

Laura said...

I will second that, for sure!!

Connie said...

geesh, all I meant was normal 17 yr.olds don't usually "WANT" to come over and play. Little kids are normal to want that. I agree with Kristin, let it ride. School starts soon. (yikes!) and you never called me or you would have understood my comment better!!!

Anonymous said...

This is hysterical! Your blog brings me joy. I miss, miss, miss you. p.s. Do you have a hair dryer yet? carrie

Meghan said...

Okay Laura~ I want to move in with you and your family. You all provide me daily entertainment through your blog!
I think this is awesome! If it's the same Andrew that Guillermo asked to have over, he's great...he'll come only if you're serving fruit snacks made from real fruit! ha ha...just kidding. But I really do hope my child is that social and cool at age 7.