Friday, July 18, 2008

WANTED: Hairdryer.

"Honey will you please go buy yourself a new hairdryer?" These are the words from my dear husband. As if it were so easy. I happen to have some sort of emotional attachment to my hairdryer. It's been by my side through thick and thin, curly and straight, short and long. It's like asking me to replace one of my children with a newer, more well-behaved model. (hmmm...tempting.) Since I'm actually now seeing sparks inside it and the whole upstairs smells like burnt hairspray every time I use it. It's time. I think to myself, let's go ahead and throw in a straightener while I'm at it. I deserve it, darn it (not.). I decide to haul the kids out to Target. Everyone and their mother is at the mall today, so I'm a tad bit frazzled by the time I reach the hairdryers. Who knew they would have an entire aisle dedicated to hairdryers. I think I recall having about 4 choices the last time I bought one in 1994. What has happened? We've got the E160, the fastdry Turbo Diffuser, and the Ionic Hotbrush. What are ions and ceramic what-nots and who uses all these attachments? Ummm...the baby blue one is kinda cute. Too bad it's not green. Is that a good reason to buy it? Upon further inspection I realize the price spread is a measly limited price reduction of $12.99 up to $85.00. How is that even possible. How can there be 70 bucks difference? At this point the two young ones are trying to touch and handle them all and the older is really wishing he were somewhere, anywhere else at that moment. Then the youngest decides she needs to poop. I panicked. I left with nothing. Empty -handed. This is going to involve so much more than I realized. The pressure is almost unbearable. I'm not even going to touch on the straightener subject.

2 comments:

Rachel Bardwell said...

I think the hairdryer companies must have all male marketing teams. You're good to point out that most women don't care what ions their hair dryers have. They SHOULD advertise with things like, "cute blue color," or "funky handle shape," or "this one won't burn your scalp," if you want to get more scientific.

emily said...

oh my gosh, I was laughing really hard when I read this!